Welcome to FastTest, the world’s leading online testing and item banking system. This Quick Start Guide provides a brief overview of how to use the system effectively. There are two sections: Administrators and General Users. A complete manual with step-by-step details is always available by using the Manual option in the upper-right of your screen (see figures below). For any questions not covered in the manual, please contact email@example.com.
Part 2: All Users
Once inside the workspace, there are five tabs to navigate through FastTest (Figure 2.1). They represent the five major stages of the test development cycle. These are:
→ Item Explorer: Authoring and reviewing items, storing metadata
→ Test Assembler: Assembling items into test forms and setting test specifications
→ Asset Manager: Managing audio, video, image, and reading passage files
→ Test Scheduler: Managing examinees and scheduling them for tests
→ Report Manager: Reporting on important aspects of the previous tabs.
The Item Explorer tab is where items (questions) are created (or imported) and organized. FastTest has a folder tree hierarchy design (similar to the Windows Explorer hierarchy) where an item bank is created, and then inside that bank are nested categories and subcategories, each containing any number of items.
Figure 2.1: Item Explorer Tab
To start, click on the New button to create an item bank. After the item bank is created you can create categories within the bank, and then create items. All items are able to be dragged and dropped into other folders. You may also duplicate an item to have it appear in two separate folders within a bank.
Creating an Item
When an item is created manually, a new window with six tabs will be displayed, as shown in Figure 2.2. Items can also be imported en masse by using the Import button at the top of the page (Figure 2.3). For more information on the Statistics, Comments, Review, and Objectives tabs please see the manual.
To create an item:
- Enter your question in the top box with the answers following, each in a separate box
- Enter the answer weight in the small box to the left of the answer letters.
- e.g. 0 for incorrect and 1 for correct
- Click the Show Rationale box to display a second box under each answer – this can be used to explain answers to item reviewers or examinees in a report.
- To create another item without going back to the category level, click New
- Additional options to preview the item, comment on the item, save the item, and either go to a previous item or the next item within the same category of the bank.
Figure 2.2: The Content Tab
Figure 2.3: Importing Items en Masse
Adding Assets to an Item
Within the item editor dialog, click on Show Toolbar, and then click on (Figure 2.4) to open the Asset Manager window (Figure 2.5).
- If the desired asset has previously been uploaded, you can search for it by name, or by searching the folders.
- A new asset can also be uploaded. To insert the asset, check the box and click Add.
- You can now close the Asset Manager window. See the manual for more information on the Asset Manager.
Figure 2.4: Adding Assets to Items