Once you have created the test and specified the basic information, the next step is to add items to test sections.
To Add Items
- Click the Edit → Edit Items button, or right-click on a test and select Edit Items.
- This will then bring up a list of items already added to the test (Figure 4.14). There will be no items listed for a newly created test.
- The list of items is also visible simply by highlighting a test on the Test Assembler tab
- Adding and deleting of items to the test is not possible while the test is protected.
- Click on the Item Explorer tab to access the items you want to add to the test.
Figure 4.14 displays some additional options that items have once they are added to a test.
- The Scored checkbox indicates if the response to this item should be included in the score calculation.
- The Required checkbox indicates whether this item is required to be answered.
- The Force Page Break checkbox allows you to insert a page break after a specific item.
- The Reverse Scale checkbox applies to Likert-Type items and allows you to use the reverse of what the examinee selected.
- For example, if you have a five point scale with weights of 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, applying reverse scale would cause the first option to use a weight of 5 instead of 1.
- The checkboxes in the column headers can be used to check/uncheck all checkboxes for all items in the test.
- Once the test is open for adding/deleting items, you then need to go back to the Item Explorer tab to look for items and add them to the test.
- You can go there by clicking the green Add Items button, or by simply clicking the Item Explorer tab.
- There are two ways to select items in the Item Explorer: browsing through the bank or searching on specific criteria.
Selecting Items by Browsing
You can assemble a test using any of the banks in a workspace by selecting items from any of the categories in those banks. Navigate through the workspace by clicking on banks or categories, and right-click → Show All Items to see the items in a given category.
- To add an item to your test, simply click on the item and then click the green Add to Test button that is now visible above the list or right-click and select Add to Test.
- You can also select multiple items in the list using the CTRL and SHIFT keys.
- Items that have been added will have a green plus sign next to them.
- If your test has multiple test sections, you will be prompted to select which test section the items should be added to.
Selecting Items by Searching
You can also select items for your test by having FastTest search your item banks for items meeting criteria that you specify. There are two ways to search.
- To perform a quick search for certain item names, type the text into the Search Items box in the upper left, then click the magnifying glass or press Enter.
- For example, in Figure 4.15 you could also pull up a list of all algebra items by searching for “alg” since that is in each item name.
- The second way to search is the Advanced Search. Use this when performing sophisticated test assembly based on item statistics or IRT parameters.
- Click on Advanced Search below the quick Search Items box, and the window in Figure 4.16 will appear.
- You can then search for text again, by item status, item assignments, date created, date modified, and/or by ranges of values for all the relevant statistics.
- Your results will then appear in the item list (Figure 4.15), at which point you can select which of the qualifying items you would like to add to the test.
- You can add to a previous search by unchecking the “Clear previous results” button.
- Note: If you want to view the items in a test in the Item Explorer tab, right-click the test and select Show in Item Explorer
- Allows for easy access to items included in a test without having to search banks.