A session is the scheduling of a test for examinees. It has been separated from the Tests and Examinees workflow to make those two things more reusable. For example, you might have a Biology Final Exam that is used twice per year but does not change, but you do have new examinees each time. The Session workflow allows you to select a set of examinees and assign them to a test in this manner. It then includes many additional options regarding how the test is being scheduled/delivered, which makes it extremely powerful and flexible.
The Sessions module contains practical options about how the test is to be delivered.
- Online or paper delivery
- Display an instruction screen before the test starts
- Post-test score report for examinees
- Timeboxed to a date window or ongoing
- One or multiple tests in one sitting
- Scaled Scoring (in development)
Scalable Security Options
The Sessions module is designed to implement the scalable security concept by specifying how examinees interact with the test, including important questions:
- Are we limiting the session to a certain group of examinees or opening it to everyone?
- Is the test available as an open URL link, only accessible with test code (password), accessible by a student entering their student ID number, or linked to scheduling from an LMS or other systems?
- Is the test available for a specific time window (e.g., 9-12 AM on next Saturday)?
- Is the test delivered with the extra security of a lock-down browser? (IN DEVELOPMENT)
The Sessions module also contains a progress dashboard, which is used to perform administrative tasks (e.g., exporting data or submitting tests that students left in progress).