- Click on an item bank to view all of its Items and Assets. If it is a new item bank, the screen will appear empty.
- Click the Add Item + button to add an item.
- Give the new item a name and click Add. Item names are required, and the Add button will appear gray until the text has been entered in the Item Name field.
- Click Add. Once a item name is assigned, you can add a question to an Item. Items can have multiple questions and/or features. For example, you might have a reading passage (feature) with three questions associated with it.
- Hover over and click the + (plus symbol) or Add new button. This additional step exists because you are technically adding a question inside an item. Later, you can try adding multiple questions inside an item; this is used for item groupings (e.g., reading passage with three attached questions).
Choose the question type (e.g., multiple choice, true or false).
- Type in the question (stem) Compose question field and corresponding options (answers) in the options area.
- Select the correct answer (or Multiple responses and/or Shuffle options).
- Select More Options for additional (optional) assessment features, if desired.
- After reviewing your item, scroll to the top of the screen and click the blue SAVE button.
- To view the item’s format as a test taker would see it, toggle the Edit/Preview button to Preview mode. If you discover an issue, you may edit your item again by toggling the button to Edit.
For more information on the format/scoring options below the item content editor, refer to the Appendix for that topic.